Thursday, November 12, 2009

Google Wave Update

Just over two weeks ago I scored a Google Wave invitation from a young friend - thanks George.

I can see enormous potential for this new tool especially when some of the features that are highlighted in the Wave explanatory video, but are not yet activated, are implemented. I am, however, a frustrated waver. I have joined waves for educators, librarians, Australian educators, Sydneysiders, women on the wave and genealogists.

I must concur with a comment on Twitter by SteelyGreen:
"Predictably Librarians across world already self organized themselves brilliantly on Google Wave - likewise Educationalists & Genealogists." The Librarians Wave Directory that I have joined is very well organised and the most active Wave I am on.

The Educators Wave Directory started off with a flourish but there hasn't been a post since 22 October. Surprisingly the Aussie Wavers Wave for Australian educators is very quiet. The participants on this Wave are among the leaders in the integration of IT into education in Australia. The Sydney (Australia) Users Wave has over 450 posts and is updated almost daily. The WOW - Women on the Wave group is a good directory for a minority group with Wave invitations.

Having retired from IT, Education and Libraries I am mostly interested in Genealogy Waves.
I have used Twitter, Facebook, this blog and GenealogyWise to find other genealogists on Google Wave. I have managed to score Waves invites for a number of people who have contacted me.

The first Wave I joined "Hi" showed promise - the participants are an international group of persons who actively use social media to enhance their hobby; there has been no activity on this list since October 25.

Tamura Jones started a most informative and successful private Genealogy Wave that contains a directory of Genealogists using Wave, links to other genealogy waves and resources about genealogy wave. Whenever I find a genealogist with a wave account I add them to Tamura's wave that is growing to be a fine resource.

The Public Genealogy Wave (
Here is a public wave for any Wavers obsessed with Genealogy to discuss using G-Wave with Genealogy - or just to discuss Genealogy in general) is also shaping up to be a meeting place for genealogists around the world.

I set up a public wave - the
Australian Genealogy and Family History Wave - a place where genealogists from downunder - with roots from all over the world can collaborate. Contributions from others with interests in Australian Genealogy are also most welcome. I see this Australian Genealogy and Family History wave as an umbrella wave from which we can link to other waves about Australian Genealogy eg State or Locality Based, Name Based, Society Based. It is hoped that we can have sections for those who can do Lookups/Offer Assistance, Lists of our favourite resources (both free and paid), News of Events.I see this Australian Genealogy and Family History wave as an umbrella wave from which we can link to other waves about Australian Genealogy eg State or Locality Based, Name Based, Society Based. It is hoped that we can have sections for those who can do Lookups/Offer Assistance, Lists of our favourite resources (both free and paid), News of Events.">



My frustration with this Australian Genealogy Wave is that, at this early stage of the Google Wave rollout, there are too few genealogists with access to the Wave for this Wave with only eight members to be effective. I am pleased, however, with the structure of the Wave and can see it in the future as a valuable resource for genealogists in Australia. Now that I have eight Google Wave invitations to give out I hope to find more genealogists to join me there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I wondered if you have invitations and if you want to send me one of them to rober29 @ gmail.com

GeniAus said...

Dear Anonymous,
Why?
Regards Geniaus

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...